RBC History



PASTORS
ELDERS
STAFF
DEACONS
WE LIKE
RBC HISTORY
JOB OPPORTUNITIES
 
 

The Church was founded with the help of the famous Baptist preacher C.H. Spurgeon in 1864 and soon established premises in London Road in Redhill town centre, the membership reaching a peak of 316 at the turn of the century. In 1897 the church assumed responsibility for the work at Merstham Mission Church, a commitment which was to last more than 60 years, when it became independent as Merstham Baptist Church. In1909 the church started a mission in nearby Earlswood (known as the Hooley Mission, somewhat confusingly as Hooley was five miles to the north!). Subsequently renamed Earlswood Baptist Church, it became autonomous in 1987.

In the 1950s problems with the premises in London Road caused the church to relocate and in 1961 it moved into the current building on the border between Redhill and Reigate. Growth during the late 1980s and early 1990s brought capacity problems and, following an unsuccessful search for a new site, the church sent the associate pastor, one elder and some 50 members to plant Reigate Baptist Church in 1995. This has since grown and in 2005 opened a splendid set of premises in Woodhatch.

old_church

During its history, the Church has had 18 pastors and six associate/assistant pastors. The longest serving was the Rev George Davies, 1890-1909. During his ministry he conducted 390 baptisms and 812 members were added to the church.  At the start of the 21st century growing numbers in the congregation led the church to consider relocating to a warehouse on the Holmethorpe Industrial Estate. The plan was thwarted at the last minute when the site was sold to another party.

That led the church to decide instead to stay on its existing site and undertake a refurbishment and extension of the premises. This was completed in 2009 at a cost of £1.8 million. Thanks to the goodness of God and the generosity of the church community, the project was completed without any debt being incurred.Continuing growth in the size of the congregation – drawn from an increasingly wide range of cultural and ethnic backgrounds – led to a second morning service being instituted in October 2012.